Synaesthesia and Knitting

There's this phenomenon called synaesthesia. Basically, it's when a person associates certain sensory stimuli with other, apparently unrelated ones. For example, Monday "feels" dark blue to me, and Thursday "feels" brown. I don't think it's that uncommon to have sort of feeling around what colour numbers, letters and days of the week are. Some people have this synaesthesia in a way more pronounced way, though. Some people even associate smells with people's names, and others "see" colours in music.

So last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I was thinking about a cowl I recently knitted. I made it far too short to be very warm, but I didn't realise until I had already cast off. I had used a sewn cast off, so it's a bit of a pain to undo, so I haven't got around to making the cowl bigger yet. In my half-asleep state, I imagined myself doing the cast-off on that cowl. If you're not familiar with it, a sewn cast off is where you forgo the right needle and use a sewing needle instead, to finish your knitting (see here). "Gee," I thought, as I watched the sewing needle in my mind's eye weave through the stitches, "the male needle is doing all the work here." And then I was like "What? Male needle?" It occurred to me that I view the right needle as the female needle and the left needle is the male needle. Therefore, in a sewn cast-off, the left needle, which has all the stitches on it, is doing all the work, because the right needle has been replaced by a sewing needle. There's no real reason for me to perceive the needles as two different genders, but I kind of do. And I think this is an example of a mild case of synaesthesia. I realised also that I view RS rows and odd-numbered rows as "female" rows (I guess because odd rows tend to be RS rows). The only possible explanation I can give for this feeling is my tendency from an early age to view anything that relates to me as "my team", as it were. Therefore, because I'm right handed, the right side is the better side, girls must rule because I am one of those, and all actresses called Katherine are insanely talented and beautiful.

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting observation. Am I the weirdest or do other people think similar things?

Peace,

The Knitted Kitten.